Awards and accolades abounded when faculty, staff and students at Missouri State University-West Plains (MSU-WP) gathered May 5 for the Celebration of Leaders student awards ceremony at the West Plains Civic Center.
The annual event recognizes students for a variety of academic and leadership achievements and serves as the installation service for the new Student Government Association (SGA) presidents and vice presidents for the upcoming academic year at the West Plains and Mountain Grove campuses.
Swearing in new officers
Sworn in during the SGA transfer of power ceremony were West Plains SGA President Jackson Wright, West Plains, and Vice President Logan Brewer, Ozark. Mountain Grove SGA President Aleah Clark and Vice President Tori Emery, both of Mountain Grove, also took the oaths of office. The officers were sworn in by MSU-WP Student Life and Development Coordinator Jared Cates.
Public Affairs awards
Another highlight of the evening was the awarding of the Public Affairs Fellow Awards. The awards recognize students for advancing the university’s public affairs mission both on and off campus and demonstrating ethical leadership, civic engagement and cultural awareness. Students receiving the “distinguished” designation go above and beyond in their efforts to advance the university’s public affairs mission.
This year, the Distinguished Public Affairs Fellow Award was given to Lyndsey Carr, Cabool. Public Affairs Fellow Awards were given to Heather Day and Jackson Wright, both of West Plains.
The awards are sponsored and selected by the Public Affairs Committee and supported by the university’s chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa honors society.
Other awards and their recipients included:
- Campus Service Award – Heather Day, West Plains
- Multicultural/International Leadership Award – Ahmea Parham, Raytown, and Viviana Prado, Lemont, Illinois
- Outstanding Corps of Opportunity Award – Abbi Horstman and Lisa Inlow, both of West Plains
- First Generation Award – Andrea Atchison, West Plains
- Faculty Mentor Award – Assistant Professor of English Leigh Adams
- Staff Appreciation Award – Assistant Coordinator of Admissions Erica Puckett
- SGA Outstanding Member Award – Hannah Brown, Salem
- Outstanding Student Employee of the Year Award – Kylie McGee, West Plains
- Campus Influencer/Student Ambassador Rising Star Award – Dalton Dzurick, Houston, and Christin Gayer, Mansfield
- Outstanding Campus Influencer/Student Ambassador Award – Carissa Harmon, Salem, and Kaylynn Newberry, West Plains
- Community Service Award – Elainhe Vaughan, West Plains
- Outstanding Resident of the Year Award (Grizzly House) – Meghan Johns, Ellington
- Outstanding Resident of the Year Award (Grizzly Lofts) – Jacina Crockett, Houston
- Resident Assistant of the Year Award – Hannah Brown, Salem
- Outstanding Cheer Team Student Athlete of the Year – Launa Cheever, Alton
- Outstanding Volleyball Student Athlete of the Year – Doga Kutlu, Ankara, Turkey
- Outstanding Basketball Student Athlete of the Year – Mehdi Pissis, Sartrouville, France
- Outstanding Academic Achievement and Leadership Award – Jonathan Branstetter, Hartville
- Outstanding Student Leader Award – Hannah Brown, Salem
Photos of all of the winners can be found in the 2022 Celebration of Leaders photo album on the MSU-WP Facebook page.