Missouri State University- West Plains realizes the importance and value that social media tools and websites offer faculty, staff, current and future students, alumni and others. These guidelines are to provide direction and clarity with respect to social media and the University’s participation to allow for it to be a positive experience for all those who participate.
Guidelines for all social media sites
- Be respectful of copyright, fair use and intellectual property rights of others and of the University. For guidance, refer to the Multimedia Guidelines or contact the Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning regarding Fair Use guidelines.
- Obey the terms of service of any social media platform on which you have a web presence.
Guidelines for institutional social media sites
- Departments, University units, or organizations that have a social media presence should contact the University Communications Office to ensure that all institutional social media sites coordinate with the Missouri State University-West Plains sites and their content.
- The Web Policy considers social media sites a component of a University website. The website supervisor/administrator is responsible for any associated social media sites.
- Supervisors/administrators for institutional social media sites must follow and enforce the Comment Guidelines
- Two full-time staff members must have supervisor/administrator access to all social media accounts
- As described in the Commercial Activity Guidelines, commercial activity is not allowed on institutional social media sites.
- When possible, always link back to the Missouri State University-West Plains website. Posts should direct visitors to content that resides in the Missouri State University-West Plains web environment.
- Posts on institutional social media sites should protect the University’s institutional voice by remaining professional in tone and in good taste. No individual Missouri State department, unit or organization should construe its social media site as representing the University as a whole.
Guidelines for personal social media sites
- Do not use Missouri State University-West Plains logos for endorsement on any personal social media sites.