Winners for the 21st annual Art Around Town exhibit have been chosen, organizers announced today.
The annual event, held in April, featured two- and three-dimensional artwork created by area elementary and middle school students from 11 area school districts.
The exhibit was sponsored by Missouri State University-West Plains’ (MSU-WP) University/Community Programs (U/CP) Department and held in the exhibit hall at the West Plains Civic Center.
Artists from the area who juried the exhibit gave awards to the top three entries by grade and selected a Best of Show winner.
That honor went to Karlee Romans, an eighth grade student at Fairview School, for her mixed media piece.
Winners in the two-dimensional division, by grade, were:
- Kindergarten-Second Grades: Jaxon Somoza, Junction Hill; first place; Will Komm, Thayer, second place; Cruz Thompson, Thayer, third place.
- Third-Fourth Grades: Chloe Crass, Thayer, first; Ashlynn Welton-Leigh, Willow Springs, second; Zade Cypret, Fairview, third.
- Fifth-Sixth Grades: Lilly Williams, Fairview, first; Lyla Kelly, Fairview, second; Chloe Carper, Glenwood, third.
- Seventh-Eighth Grades: Maren Thompson, West Plains Middle School, first; Alessa Collins, West Plains Middle School, second; Alex Dawson, Junction Hill, third.
Winners in the three-dimensional division, by grade, were:
- Kindergarten-Second Grades: Finley Brazeal, Thayer, first place; Kate Martin, Thayer, second place; Gracie Collins, Fairview, third place.
- Third-Fourth Grades: Ella Ogden, Fairview, first; Averee Bertholomey, Thayer, second; Abigail Skelton, Willow Springs, third.
- Fifth-Sixth Grades: Payton Blea, Thayer, first; Kaitlyn Cerutti, Thayer, second; Jala Maupin, Glenwood, third.
- Seventh-Eighth Grades: Jayli Tharp, Mtn. View/Birch Tree, first; Maren Thompson, West Plains Middle School, second; Rose Reeves, West Plains Middle School, third.
Special award presented
A special award was presented to a group of students from Howell Valley School for their mixed media midwinter formal dresses. The group included Evie Butler, Whitlee Callahan, Kirsten Collins, Emma Dixon, Lily Dixon, Megan Gorskey, Brooklynn Houston, Jordan Jett, Seri King, Jenalee Roylance, Zoe Scharnhorst, Alexandria Smith and London Thompson.
Students were recognized for their work at a special awards ceremony April 24 at the West Plains Civic Center, organizers said.
“Congratulations to all of the winners,” U/CP Director Brenda Polyard said. “The talent displayed at this year’s event made it difficult for the judges to make their selections. We appreciate the efforts put forth by area teachers in helping their students develop their artistic skills.”
A total of 286 pieces of artwork were submitted by school officials for this year’s exhibit.
For more information about Art Around Town and how to participate in next year’s event, call the U/CP office at 417-255-7966 or visit the U/CP theater and events website.