Winners for the 22nd annual Art Around Town exhibit have been chosen, organizers announced today.
The annual event, which concludes Wednesday, March 29, featured two- and three-dimensional artwork created by area elementary and middle school students from 11 area school districts.
The exhibit was sponsored by Missouri State University-West Plains’ (MSU-WP) University/Community Programs (U/CP) Department and the West Plains Council on the Arts. It is being held on the mezzanine at the West Plains Civic Center.
Artists from the area who juried the exhibit gave awards to the top three entries by grade and selected a Best of Show winner. That honor went to Rose Reeves, an eighth-grade student at West Plains Middle School, for her observational drawing with value made using graphite pencils.
Two-dimensional design winners
Winners in the two-dimensional division, by grade, were:
- Kindergarten-Second Grades: Bonham Biddle, Glenwood, first place; Myrah Sanders, Willow Springs, second place; Coy Seelye, Thayer, third place.
- Third-Fourth Grades: Avery Chapman, Mountain View-Birch Tree, first; Lillian Mullins, Willow Springs, second; Bronson Coffey, West Plains Elementary, third.
- Fifth-Sixth Grades: Cade Wilkening, Glenwood, first; Harper Turner, South Fork, second; Gracelyn Young, Richards, third.
- Seventh-Eighth Grades: Rose Reeves, West Plains Middle School, first; Serenity Barker, West Plains Middle School, second; Enoch Tripp, Mountain View-Birch Tree, third.
Three-dimensional design winners
Winners in the three-dimensional division, by grade, were:
- Kindergarten-Second Grades: Scarlett Seelye, Thayer, first place; Billy Martin, Thayer, second place; Alexas Prewett, Fairview, third place.
- Third-Fourth Grades: Kailie Harris, Thayer, first; Victoria Hernandez, Thayer, second; Shelby Smart, Fairview, third.
- Fifth-Sixth Grades: Kynslee Anderson, Thayer, first; Cole Hunter, Thayer, second; Lowell Stewart, Glenwood, third.
- Seventh-Eighth Grades: Jayli Tharp, Mountain View-Birch Tree, first; Alex Newman, Fairview, second; Joslynn Morrish, Junction Hill, third.
A special award was presented to a group of students from Glenwood School for their 3D model collaborative house. The group included Adilee Jouner, Kaylee Brotherton, Khloe Clinton, Dakotah Brigman, Kira Aminein, Lillian Mattes, Cypress Jolliff, Olivia Werner, Ella Roberts, Makenna Squires, Alexis Edwards, Clayton Earl, Kylee Sciotto, Carlee Minge, Marilee Kaufman, Laura Miller and Vivian Fite.
Students were recognized for their work at a special awards ceremony Sunday, March 26, at the West Plains Civic Center, organizers said.
“Congratulations to all of the winners,” U/CP Director Keri Elrod said. “The talent displayed at this year’s event made it difficult for the judges to make their selections. We appreciate the efforts put forth by area teachers in helping their students develop their artistic skills.”
A total of 296 pieces of artwork were submitted by school officials for this year’s exhibit.
For more information about Art Around Town and how to participate in next year’s event, call the U/CP office at 417-255-7966 or visit WP.MissouriState.edu/UCP/Theater.htm.